How can we reach our 2020
Greenest City Targets?

How can we reach our 2020 Greenest City targets?

make food not lawns

Stop planting grass and instead plant food that people can eat. The big living roof on the convention centre has grass right now but it, and other roofs and lawns could have edible plants living on them.

74 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jenni Rempel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Lise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm so glad I live on the east side where it's more common than not to have tomatos, swiss chard, corn, fig trees and herbs in your front garden. What is the point of a grass lawn.....never see anyone even out enjoying them!

• Dave Peterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop paying to cut the grass, instead make a profit, increase biodiversity and support local food.
    Lease underutilized park spaces (eg. grass areas around tennis courts) and boulevard areas, to be used as organic (permaculture?) urban agriculture, either for community gardeners or for commercial gardeners.

• Jenni Rempel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Geordie Milne: I saw your comment on "Encourage urban food production" and you are awesome. Keep being excellent. Permaculture = win.

• Aone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Grass can be eaten by humans and is used as a health food vegan drink and marketed as wheat grass to distinguish it from regular lawn grass but usually any cereal grass and rye grass can be eaten.
    Also dandilions are an edible weed.

Feedback and Knowledge Base