Greenest City Targets?

GC 2020

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

657 results found

1. Street lights for the sidewalks, not just roads

Many of our streets are brightly lit at night while the sidewalks remain dark. Especially in areas with many seniors, like the West End, this discourages people from going out at night. Bring back street lights - for pedestrians - in our neighbourhoods.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)

Pedestrian safety is a top priority. The Greenest City work will include directions to identify and address deficiencies in the network (e.g. missing sidewalks or curb ramps, need for improved pedestrian lighting).

2. make bus transfers optional

I often don't need to transfer onto another bus or train so I would like it to be optional to receive a ticket after paying. So much paper waste could be reduced.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. create landscaped outdoor furniture

Improve outdoor spaces to encourage pedestrian activity and animation of public spaces by creating a series of fun, large-scale landscaped furniture, like grass sofas & loveseats... See the example in England:

http://inhabitat.com/2010/07/26/gigantic-lawn-lounges-sprout-throughout-england/new-6-28/

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Get rid of refrigeration energy hogs

Refrigeration consumes ridiculous amounts of energy. More energy-efficient appliances help, but we could do a lot better than that:

1. No matter how energy-star compliant, fridges consume energy in proportion to how much they have to cool the air. Our houses are warm places year round. Coastal BC on average has cooler temps outside in the shade year round, including being very close to perfect fridge temps about six months of the year. Why are our fridges inside our warm houses? Build fridges into house/apartment kitchens such that most of the appliance projects outside, with just its insulated door in the…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Support collective housing

Support the development of collective housing- support landlords that rent to collective houses and create supports to allow collective houses to own their buildings.
    Adult, children and pets living collectively pool their time and resources to implement practices that reduce their environmental footprint and support everyone's quality of life.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Utilize local building materials in City projects

COV Parks just let a contract to use Made In China Granite shipped across the Pacific for the seawall instead of local granite. I suggest that the contract is amended to utilize local materials.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Lets recycle the burnt out light bulbs from street lights and traffic signals. This would reduce was

The city should look into a recycling program for the burnt out lights that are removed from street lights and traffic signals.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Hire a group of young motivated leaders

Help me help you help us.

Create green jobs.

Make it a little easier for the change makers to flourish.

Subsidized trainings.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Utilities prices & consumption

I know, I know. It is not new and also it can be the most impopular idea but the reality is simple. People spent because it doesn't have to pay much more. There are many histories in the world probing this theory. Create some scale having a basic levels consumption and scales and increase prices for higher volumes and for sure it will impact the "behavior" of people and all the industries.
    But this idea has a special component, with the extra money received create a fund for the other green projects for the city.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Require all printers sold in the city to be uneasy to use so people are less likely to use them

If we mandated that all printers in the city must be non-user friendly, it would help prevent people from wasting paper!

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Put a boom box on every corner

Cuba - one of a handful of countries living within its ecological means - is also one of the world's top producers of arts, music and culture. Is there a relationship between creative production, sustainability and happiness? We think so. Imagine a Vancouver where one's daily experience was one of engagement, creation and production rather than consumption.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Require all coffee shops to install Japanese style toilets ( grey water) and save water

Install a small sink on top of the toilet. When the patron flushes the toilet the water first comes through the tap. see the sinkpositive site http://sinkpositive.com/site/home/ or this you tubevideo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kulnVSG0FY&feature=related
    for an example. Installed in restaurants and coffee shops this would save space and save hundreds of litres of water a year.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Produce instead of consume

A friend of mine told me his version of eco-tourism: "stay home and shallow breath." Being green means producing more than we consume. We need to think about this at home, in our occupations and in the community. I have a hard time imagining how Vancouver can compete with poorer cities where the people cannot afford to buy stuff and therefore have a lighter footprint. Even the most conscientious Vancouve bike rider can have their carbon footprint skyrocket when their air travel is calculated. But we can always try and there are lots of great ideas being put forth here!

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is an interesting take on reducing ecological footprint. Our research tells us that people respond better to positive messaging that activates and motivates them, and that is the likely tact we will take in our communications.

15. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Ban the Disposal of Recyclable Products

The Nova Scotian government has an amazing program where garbage has to be disposed of in clear garbage bags and if it includes recyclable goods the waste it not picked up and has to be sorted.

The ban includes "Bans on the disposal of beverage containers, corrugated cardboard, newsprint, scrap tires, used oil, lead-acid batteries, waste paint, automotive antifreeze, glass food containers, steel/tin cans, selected plastics and compostable organic materials."

http://www.gov.ns.ca/nse/waste/swrmstrategy.asp

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. tax reduction for business commutors

Give tax reductions to businesses that reduce the commuting automobile usage of employees. This could be preferred hiring of people that live close by or subsidized bus passes. Chain-stores could swap staff between stores to get more local staff. Better carpooling organization.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Reduce reliance on natural gas by large industrial users

The City could work directly with large industrial users of natural gas to identify cost effective energy efficiency improvements.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Eco-Street Teams

A partially voluntary and hired position to patrol the city cores for idlers and curb cutters and litterers.Another great one is water wasters, sewer polluters, single use paper cup users. The bike and roller blade and skaters are licensed by the city to award penalties for various eco-unfriendly acts. These are not entirely all auto related of course. The other component being the urban eco award for positive contribution. Citizens which contribute to the increasing effort to green Vancouver ASAP . The Vancouver City Eco Team could generate a considerable revenue and would quickly build street credit for youths and…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. How come some of my 5 year light bulbs are burning out in 2 years or less? Is this a scam?

I whole heartedly switched away from incandescent light bulbs about 2 years ago. It lowered my electricity bills, but some of my 5 year light bulbs are burning out. Not good. This will discourage people from buying them again. Is there a standard that must be met for these bulbs to be sold in Canada? Seems one is needed.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base