Greenest City Targets?

GC 2020

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

96 results found

1. Lobby provincially for increased bottle/can deposit values

Curbside drink container recycling is great, but the recycling rate for these things in BC is still only about 70%. This is a waste of resources. Other provinces (PEI for example) have kept pace better with inflation by charging more than our paltry 5-10 cents deposit per container, and not just by coincidence have higher recycling rates.

Side benefit: less garbage/broken glass in public places.

Caution: those who depend upon deposits for their livelihood (e.g. "binners") might experience new hardship as more people recycle, but this would be somewhat offset by higher returns per container found.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Reduce waste  ·  Admin →
  2. Eternal Olympic Flame that actually helps the Environment!

When dog waste goes into landfill, it releases methane into the atmosphere. Methane is a potent greenhouse gas that is approximately 23 times more harmful than carbon dioxide.

When it’s burned in the presence of oxygen, it separates into carbon dioxide and water vapor, so businesses can actually earn carbon credits from burning off excess methane.

Here is an article on a park in Massachusetts where they are using methane created from dog poop for a gas burning lamppost (http://parksparkproject.com/home.html).

Eventually the methane could be used to reduce overall energy consumption by heating buildings/water etc, but in the…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Standard office supply changes

Our goal is to push for the betterment of our society, by providing sustainable products that cause the least harm to the eco-systems of the world we live, work and play in. We are of the mind that 5 cent’s more for a cup of coffee, or 2 cent’s more for a pen is well worth the peace of mind that we are making a difference, and that we are making the world a better, healthier place.

The choices made in today’s market place will profoundly affect the world of tomorrow, along with the need for the diversification and an…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. make bus transfers optional

I often don't need to transfer onto another bus or train so I would like it to be optional to receive a ticket after paying. So much paper waste could be reduced.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Ban the Disposal of Recyclable Products

The Nova Scotian government has an amazing program where garbage has to be disposed of in clear garbage bags and if it includes recyclable goods the waste it not picked up and has to be sorted.

The ban includes "Bans on the disposal of beverage containers, corrugated cardboard, newsprint, scrap tires, used oil, lead-acid batteries, waste paint, automotive antifreeze, glass food containers, steel/tin cans, selected plastics and compostable organic materials."

http://www.gov.ns.ca/nse/waste/swrmstrategy.asp

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Lets recycle the burnt out light bulbs from street lights and traffic signals. This would reduce was

The city should look into a recycling program for the burnt out lights that are removed from street lights and traffic signals.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Require all printers sold in the city to be uneasy to use so people are less likely to use them

If we mandated that all printers in the city must be non-user friendly, it would help prevent people from wasting paper!

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Paper requirements for City Hall services

I went to renew my residential parking permit and was required to show a physical copy of my proof of residence - hydro bill, etc. I don't get paper bills anymore. I pulled up my bill on my iPhone but was told that wasn't enough, i had to print the bill. The thing is, the clerk didn't take copies of any of my documents, she just viewed them, so why is it not good enough to view the electronic document?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. solar trash compactor

City of Vancouver has 2,400 public space litter bins on streets, transit stops and parks. By introducing a wireless capable solar trash compactor system to replace this system significant financial and environmental benefits can be realized. Operating costs will be reduced by 70% as well as Green House Gas emissions from the Diesel powered waste collection vehicle that go out at least once per day to pick up each of these 2,400 bins. Imagine having the collection take place once per week instead of seven times per week and have the reduced trip frequency pay for all this equipment in…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The City is piloting over 20 solar-powered trash compacting bins in South East False Creek and Cambie Street.

However, this idea isn’t included in the Draft Greenest City Action Plan. Compacting waste reduces volume and makes collection more efficient, but it doesn’t reduce the tonnes of waste sent to landfill or incinerator. The proposed Zero Waste target is to reduce 50% (by weight) of garbage sent to landfill or incinerator by 2020.

10. Recycling Education and Expanding the Recycling Program

Updated education on what is recyclable and what isn't would be great. Our recycling bin has been rejected because people aren't following the guidelines, but if they're coming from other provinces or countries, they might have been able to recycle more. Let's upgrade what we can recycle and educate everyone on what we can do. Am I the only one who still takes the plastic windows out of the envelopes and do we still need to do it?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Illustrate how individuals can make the City a 'self-cleaning oven' via creative waste diversion.

We need a showcase of repurposed goods and ideas that can either travel to schools or be visited by the public. Environmental issues align with savings indices issues in a bold, creative way.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Recycling of all sorts of metals.

I don't think there's any metal that can't be melted and reused. It makes sense that we recycle all types of metals.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. More glass recycling

There used to be a lot of glass bottle recycling back 20-30 years ago. It seemse less so now. I think it should be increased again since there's still a lot of glass usage. And not just bottles but jars and containers. I think al glass can be broken up, melted and reused again.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. To stimulate food waste recycling, offer a monthly bin cleaning service.

Since food waste will be in a bin for 2 weeks before collection, it tends to become smelly and full with bugs. This could be a major drawback for a lot of people, especially during the summer months. Therefore, offer a monthly or bi-monthly cleaning service on the day the waste is collected. In this way, recycling will become a lot less smelly! This service is in use in the Netherlands where food waste recycling has been around for a long time, and works perfectly!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. City Of Vancouver internal operation need to be leaders

I can't believe how far behind city operation are with regards to recycling it's embarassing. We need easy accessible recycling facilities on each floor and or lunch room. Examples of companies that do this well Microsoft, Whole Foods even Metro Vancouver Head Office.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Reduce waste  ·  Admin →
  16. Require businesses and office to provide outdoor ashtrays

[Submitted via mail by Penny Perry]

"All offices and businesses should be required to provide outdoor ashtrays. The volume of cigarette garbage on the streets, in the gutters and around the boulevard trees is pretty disgusting. I think i heard a tree on Broadway cough the other day."

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Reduce waste  ·  Admin →
1 2 3 5 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base