Greenest City Targets?

GC 2020

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

96 results found

1. Disclose the True Cost of Consumer Waste

Use Municipal business licencing regulatory power to reveal the hidden cost of waste production. Such a bold move could invoke a paradigm shift in the way commerce is conducted. As one example: if consumers had to pay the true environmental cost of a fast food meal, fast food would soon loose its appeal. Cheap price point consumption habits are the worse legacy of the 2o th Century. The City could use its business licencing powers to initiate an immediate turn around in the fast food industry gross over production and direct to landfill disposal of plastic and paper waste. Requiring…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. Fines for not recycling

The City should insitute and enforce fines against residents and commercial entities for placing recyclables in the garbage. Currently recycling is voluntary. it should not be.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Get organics from all sectors out of the waste stream - ASAP.

Organic waste creates methane in landfills, a greenhouse gas that is over 20 times more potent than C02. Compostable organics need to be taken out of the waste stream using an organics hierarchy - first by preventing extra waste in the first place (up to 40% of our food gets tossed!), recovering food to feed hungry people then animals (think pallet of cans that happen to get dented on one side0, then composted to create a high quality end product that completes our nutrient cycle. As a society, we're as healthy as our top soil. A diversified strategy using back…

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Reduce waste  ·  Admin →
  4. solar trash compactor

City of Vancouver has 2,400 public space litter bins on streets, transit stops and parks. By introducing a wireless capable solar trash compactor system to replace this system significant financial and environmental benefits can be realized. Operating costs will be reduced by 70% as well as Green House Gas emissions from the Diesel powered waste collection vehicle that go out at least once per day to pick up each of these 2,400 bins. Imagine having the collection take place once per week instead of seven times per week and have the reduced trip frequency pay for all this equipment in…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The City is piloting over 20 solar-powered trash compacting bins in South East False Creek and Cambie Street.

However, this idea isn’t included in the Draft Greenest City Action Plan. Compacting waste reduces volume and makes collection more efficient, but it doesn’t reduce the tonnes of waste sent to landfill or incinerator. The proposed Zero Waste target is to reduce 50% (by weight) of garbage sent to landfill or incinerator by 2020.

5. Paper requirements for City Hall services

I went to renew my residential parking permit and was required to show a physical copy of my proof of residence - hydro bill, etc. I don't get paper bills anymore. I pulled up my bill on my iPhone but was told that wasn't enough, i had to print the bill. The thing is, the clerk didn't take copies of any of my documents, she just viewed them, so why is it not good enough to view the electronic document?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Provide recycled paper bins, not bags, to encourage paper recycling

Currently the bags get blown away in the wind, fall over. It's quite hard to keep them around. Bins for paper, similar to blue bins, would be much better

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Keep the streets clean and swept

A trash littered and gum encrusted downtown core does not enhance Vancouver’s bohemian edginess. They make the city look filthy and encourage more littering. Cleanliness is a virtue; City, please do your job and sweep / scrape the streets much more often than you do presently. Compared to other densely populated places like Chicago, Atlanta and New York, we’re filthy. It's embarrassing and pathetic.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Eliminate move-in waste by using reusable moving supplies to move your home or office.

Using reusable moving supplies in place of wasteful cardboard boxes not only allows for easier and more organized packing, water resistant, crush proof crates are loaded onto the moving truck in a 1/3 of the time as cardboard boxes, lessening your hourly moving costs. The use of reusuable moving supplies is Eco-friendly regardless whether the supplies are made from raw or recycled materical. But to further 'green' your move, make sure to use moving supplies that are derived from recycled materical.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Coordinate waste management truck routes

To reduce vehicle emissions, waste management companies for apartment/condos should be coordinated by route / area. I see several different private garbage trucks drive down the same alleys every day. There is a lot of redundancy and extra traffic to collect garbage when several different companies have bins in the same city block. If only one company were responsible for a whole area, their trucks could travel more efficiently, and the number of miles driven by garbage trucks overall in the city would be reduced

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Eliminate residential curbside recycling collection of packaging materials

BC is a world wide leader in extended producer responsibility (EPR) policy. Also known as "product stewardship", current legislation covers items such as tires, paint, beverage containers, and electronics. High recycling rates of these materials are achieved through consumer "take back" programs, where recyclable items are returned to retail stores or taken to depots. EPR policy is centred on the notion of placing waste management/recycling responsibility of products that become waste squarely on the shoulders of the industries that produce these items in the first place. The benefit of EPR is that it shifts the costs of managing these items…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Recycling of all sorts of metals.

I don't think there's any metal that can't be melted and reused. It makes sense that we recycle all types of metals.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Create signs to alert tourists that water, pop, juice and alcohol bottles are refundable, not trash.

Tourists, visitors and new Vancouver residents don't always know that in the City of Vancouver, these bottles are worth money, and are not garbage. A sign at each garbage can might prevent this and encourage them to put the bottles in the trash can pocket provided.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Free Landfill and Recycling Areas For All Products this will Reduce Waste the Fastest

Citizens of Vancouver already pay enough in taxes, this service should be available to everyone in Vancouver, this will reduce the waste faster than any other idea.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Reduce paper consumption.

Use less paper in City Hall. Aim marketing inititatives toward businesses to go paperless, and provide incentives if possible. Stop using flyers/cardboard signs for city events or elections. And most of all - no more leaflets!!!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Require businesses and office to provide outdoor ashtrays

[Submitted via mail by Penny Perry]

"All offices and businesses should be required to provide outdoor ashtrays. The volume of cigarette garbage on the streets, in the gutters and around the boulevard trees is pretty disgusting. I think i heard a tree on Broadway cough the other day."

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Reduce waste  ·  Admin →
1 2 3 5 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base