• My feedback

59 results found

1. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. Tax large businesses, corporations and industries that pollute the environment

They are the heaviest polluters of our environment, their contribution to green/eco development should be direct and based on their level of polluting. The more they pollute, the more they pay.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Monitor electricity on computers

Have software on your computer that monitors how much electricity you are using at any given time in your home, and how much per appliance/outlet etc.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Utilities prices & consumption

I know, I know. It is not new and also it can be the most impopular idea but the reality is simple. People spent because it doesn't have to pay much more. There are many histories in the world probing this theory. Create some scale having a basic levels consumption and scales and increase prices for higher volumes and for sure it will impact the "behavior" of people and all the industries.
    But this idea has a special component, with the extra money received create a fund for the other green projects for the city.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Utilize local building materials in City projects

COV Parks just let a contract to use Made In China Granite shipped across the Pacific for the seawall instead of local granite. I suggest that the contract is amended to utilize local materials.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Get rid of refrigeration energy hogs

Refrigeration consumes ridiculous amounts of energy. More energy-efficient appliances help, but we could do a lot better than that:

1. No matter how energy-star compliant, fridges consume energy in proportion to how much they have to cool the air. Our houses are warm places year round. Coastal BC on average has cooler temps outside in the shade year round, including being very close to perfect fridge temps about six months of the year. Why are our fridges inside our warm houses? Build fridges into house/apartment kitchens such that most of the appliance projects outside, with just its insulated door in the…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Poonergy

Have city staff invent a machine to capture/burn the heat from your poo and transfer to hot water tank, or sell it into the city grid I mentioned earlier, exploiting a very domestic source of energy.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The Neighbourhood Energy Utility (NEU) in Southeast False Creek provides space heating and domestic hot water to new buildings in the area. The system uses sewage heat recovery to supply most of the annual energy demand (70%). This approach is being considered in other areas. Read more here: http://vancouver.ca/sustainability/building_neu.htm

Metro Vancouver is also exploring opportunities to generate energy from liquid waste. See also: http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/publications/Publications/ILWRMP.pdf

11. All universities to use alternative energy to become self-sufficient

See the German/USA film The 4th Revolution - Energy Autonomy - it's entirely possible to use only alternatives to power our institutions and cities. The fact that it's more expensive right now is not an excuse - there's too much at stake - universities should be supported to take this step and become our 'labs' for alternative energy.
    I

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 2 stroke scooters

The 2 stroke engine requires both gas and oil to burn, the emissions of a 2 stroke lawnmower are worse than even large trucks, a 2 stroke scooter is even worse than a lawnmower as the engine is bigger. It's great that a 2 stroke scooter is not so bad on fuel consumption and is smaller in need of materials to build. But 4 strokes and electrics are readily available. I think that we'd all breathe easier if 2 stroke scooters weren't allowed to belch out noise and pollution in Vancouver.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Reduce reliance on natural gas by large industrial users

The City could work directly with large industrial users of natural gas to identify cost effective energy efficiency improvements.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. How come some of my 5 year light bulbs are burning out in 2 years or less? Is this a scam?

I whole heartedly switched away from incandescent light bulbs about 2 years ago. It lowered my electricity bills, but some of my 5 year light bulbs are burning out. Not good. This will discourage people from buying them again. Is there a standard that must be met for these bulbs to be sold in Canada? Seems one is needed.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. power monitoring

Power Monitoring - Commercial Buildings

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Comprehensive Carbon Emission Reduction Program Using Carbon Calculator to Track Our Efforts

In order to reach dramatic CO2 emission reduction targets, we need a comprehensive program that provides a framework and incentive for us to work together to implement the great ideas described on this site.

The city has set broad reduction targets and in order to meet our current and future targets (I and I think many others are willing to take even bigger steps), we need to be able to see, at a concrete level, the impact of our actions (ie - the amount of CO2 in the air going up or down) - as individuals and families, as businesses…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Cool Points: Resident Carbon Cap-and-Trade Scheme

Pilot the first municipal carbon trading scheme for residents.

Create citywide, scaleable carbon market where residents (and businesses, tourists) are assigned a personal/household ghg cap based on current avg ghg consumption. These cool points would need to be spent initially on ghg main offenders like gas, home heat, electricity. Over the cap? You'll have to buy cool points from wee emitters on our local carbon market. Buy, sell and save your cool points with a cool points visa-like card/number. The annual cap would gradually be reduced, and the price of carbon would increase.

Perhaps politically and logistically unfeasible, at least…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Change the City's tendering procedure to allow for electronic notification

[Submitted by email]

We are a General Contractor that bids on City projects. The City requires that we submit our bid the day prior to opening of the bids. They also require, that if we want the information about the bid opening (bid results) to see if we are successful we must attend at the opening. This requires that we drive from Langley back and forth to deliver the bid one day, and again back and forth on the day of the opening. I thought as I drove over the old Port Mann bridge and watched them constructing a new…

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Better Designed Street Lighting

NOTE: This idea merges several ideas submitted calling for energy efficient street light design.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 3 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base