How can we reach our 2020
Greenest City Targets?

How can we reach our 2020 Greenest City targets?

meatless mondays

Like the title say, reduce meat consumption on Mondays. This would help reduce out footprint enormously. Furthermore, we would be the first city in Canada to adopt such a policy, the second in North America (after San Fran.) and the third in the world. It would be non-binding, that is great if you do it, OK if you don't. Read more here: http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating-recipes/blogs/san-francisco-joins-meatless-monday-bandwagon
Thanks!!!

42 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    sass84sass84 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Greenest City Planning TeamAdminGreenest City Planning Team (Admin, CG2020) responded  · 

Low footprint food choices are not the same as vegan food choices in all cases, the analysis is more complex than this. Generally a low footprint diet is local, seasonal food, and limits consumption of red meat, dairy, and some grains. Low footprint food choices is included in the draft Greenest City Action Plan and will be discussed in ongoing community engagement work.

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Colleen MColleen M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! Let's do it...
        with a bit of press on this
        it would help make it happen
        Montreal is doing it (en francais: lundisansviande.net)
        and so can we.

• Trevor MurdockTrevor Murdock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully agree and I'd further like to see the City pass a resolution in support of going meatless (and even better mooless too) at least one day per week due to the greenhouse gas emissions and water use associated with livestock and dairy.

Vancouver could be the first city to follow the lead of Ghent Belgium, and would gain support from Meatless Monday Canada and similar movements in the US and UK endorsed by Johns Hopkins School of Public Health and Sir Paul McCartney.

There is more info about the Canadian movement at http://www.meatlessmonday.ca

Feedback and Knowledge Base